One of the things I want to use this blog for is a way to give my PhD job seeking friends advice based on what I learned while on the job market last year. Some of the tips and tricks are things I learned from going to job seminars and talking to other graduates, others are things I learned from experience.
I’m planning to touch on the following:
- How to pack for an interview trip
- How to find out about jobs
- How to get that first interview
- How to get the interview visit
- How to manage the stress
- How to make decisions at the end of the job hunt
- How to deal with that two body issue
Since I’m a computer scientist, all of my advice is geared toward that crowd. One of the reasons I want to put it all together this way is that I had trouble figuring out what general advice I found applied to computer science, and what didn’t!